[Owrinfo] New Chief of Groundwater and Wetlands

Pena, Traci (DEM) traci.pena at dem.ri.gov
Thu Mar 16 10:02:23 EDT 2017

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to announce the appointment of Eric Beck, P.E., as Chief of Groundwater and Wetland Protection.  Eric will start his new position later this month.

Many of you have worked closely with Eric over the past twenty-seven years at DEM.  Eric is a dedicated, experienced, smart, problem-solver of a person.  He has demonstrated his strong commitment to preserving and improving the environment in Rhode Island, and is already an effective leader at DEM.  Eric has maintained a positive working relationship with constituents, applicants and partners.  He puts considerable effort into understanding our programs, looking at creative approaches to improving our business practices, using technology to make things run better, and, most of all, focusing on protecting our environment.  Eric's extensive experience in the RIPDES (reducing discharges of pollutants into surface waters) and Undergound Storage Tank programs, as well as working with others across DEM, will serve the public well as he takes on this new role.

As chief, Eric will direct environmental permitting and water quality protection programs in the Groundwater and Wetland Protection sections within DEM's Office of Water Resources, including the permitting programs for freshwater wetlands, groundwater discharge, stormwater, onsite wastewater treatment systems, and water quality certifications for projects that impact inland and coastal waters.  He will join an excellent group of leaders at an important time for DEM with many water-related challenges at the fore in Rhode Island.  This is a high touch program when it comes to the public, and a critical program for protection of water quality.

I am confident that Eric will do an excellent job, working closely with his staff and all of us, to continue to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of regulatory programs and promote customer service. Please join me in congratulating Eric on his new position.

His contact information is as follows: email: Eric.Beck at dem.ri.gov<mailto:Eric.Beck at dem.ri.gov> and the telephone is 401-222-4700, x7202.

Best,

Janet Coit, Director
Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management