[Owtsinfo] Proposed Amendments to OWTS Rules

owtsinfo at listserve.ri.gov owtsinfo at listserve.ri.gov
Wed Dec 23 09:30:10 EST 2015

The Director of the Department of Environmental Management (DEM) proposes amendments to the "Rules Establishing Minimum Standards Relating to Location, Design, Construction and Maintenance of Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems" (OWTS Rules). In accordance with State law and pursuant to the "Administrative Procedures Act", these proposed rules would, upon adoption, supersede the existing "Rules Establishing Minimum Standards Relating to Location, Design, Construction and Maintenance of Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems." DEM gives notice of the intent to hold a public hearing, and accept public comment on the proposed rules and afford interested parties an opportunity to submit data, views, or arguments orally or in writing.

The primary purpose of these amendments is to incorporate revisions made to the R.I. Cesspool Act of 2007 (R.I. Gen. Laws § 23-19.15) by the R.I. General Assembly in the 2015 session. The Cesspool Act is incorporated into the OWTS Rules in the administrative findings, definitions, and in Rule 53. Under the proposed Rule 53, cesspools must be removed from service when the property served by the cesspool is sold or transferred. These amendments also make several clarifications and minor technical changes.

A public hearing will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, January 15, 2016, in Room 280c at DEM's Offices in the Foundry Building at 235 Promenade Street, Providence, RI. The room is accessible to the disabled and interpreter services for the hearing impaired will be provided if requested 48 hours prior to the hearing. A request for this service can be made in writing or by calling (401) 222-6800 or dialing 711 (RI Relay).

The proposed rule and concise summary of changes are available for public inspection online at http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/benviron/water/permits/isds/pdfs/pn121515.pdf or in person at 235 Promenade Street, Providence, RI, 02908. Proposed rule documents may also be requested by email [jonathan.zwarg at dem.ri.gov] or by calling Jon Zwarg at (401)222-4700 x7205.

Jon Zwarg
Senior Environmental Scientist
jonathan.zwarg at dem.ri.gov<mailto:jonathan.zwarg at dem.ri.gov>
Phone: (401)222-4700 x7205
Fax: (401)222-6177

R.I Department Of Environmental Management
235 Promenade Street
Providence, RI 02908

http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/benviron/water/permits/isds/index.htm