[Owtsinfo] SepticSmart Week 2022 Event @URI

Onsite Wastewater Treatment System owtsinfo at listserve.ri.gov
Tue Sep 13 13:25:53 EDT 2022

The Onsite Wastewater Resource Center at URI [https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://web.uri.edu__;!!KKphUJtCzQ!PldAeckNFewOalRCzV6nG7HNJOXyrHtkw6CC_cjRm9EvVxbgUp_iSbmp7m8d-u4I7zTlFKAKA49ch8K0foRRxxNBBgqCt8lvQfQ$  [web[.]uri[.]edu]]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/web.uri.edu/owt/__;!!KKphUJtCzQ!LhGXEC9jNo6BFDWTpAiqgzCuoF5lcn01EMFOPNGKPHqoHspaIZEnT1FKAiTRkS1iNp0Q8Ge6ZhWGzp2oFBKq8J1L_w$> (which includes the New England Onsite Wastewater Training Program), together with the RIDEM OWTS Program, is planning a public event at the Onsite Wastewater Training Center on September 24, 2022 10 AM - 1 PM to call attention to and celebrate SepticSmart Week 2022. The goal of this event is to engage the public to demystify septic system function and maintenance. We will have a number of stations for the community to visit (e.g., what does it mean to be SepticSmart, RIDEM OWTS permit search demonstrations and Q&A,  soil testing with URI Master Gardeners), as well as guided tours of the Center's above ground demonstration systems- including both conventional and  advanced systems, throughout the morning.

This event is a continuation of our efforts to better leverage the onsite wastewater training center, once used almost exclusively by wastewater professionals during training classes. Our center is now being used regularly to support additional training and educational opportunities to the larger URI community, households and industry professionals: we are excited to host undergraduate and graduate students, master gardeners, realtors, and more at the Center throughout the year. Our first public event was held at the end of April, and we plan to hold regular, public-facing events on a few weekends in spring and fall moving forward. SepticSmart week presents a great opportunity to amplify an event with national recognition using our unique center right here in RI.

I have attached a flyer for the event with more information.

Best,
Lisa Hollister

Lisa Hollister
Training Coordinator
New England Onsite Wastewater Training Center @ URI
1 Greenhouse Road
Kingston, RI 02881
(401) 874-5950<tel:%28401%29%20874-5950>

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D8C774.397FA4F0]
Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management
Office of Water Resources – Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems (OWTS) Program
235 Promenade Street, Providence RI 02908
Website Address: http://www.dem.ri.gov/septic<http://www.dem.ri.gov/septic>;
OWTS Phone Line: 401.222.3961;
OWTS General Information Email Address: DEM.OWTS at dem.ri.gov<mailto:DEM.OWTS at dem.ri.gov>

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D8C774.397FA4F0]<http://www.dem.ri.gov/septicsmart>