[Owtsinfo] FW: Charlestown's Nitrogen Reducing Layered Soil Treatment Area Septic System Video

Onsite Wastewater Treatment System owtsinfo at listserve.ri.gov
Thu Feb 2 08:26:48 EST 2023

From: Matt Dowling <MDowling at CharlestownRI.gov>
Sent: Wednesday, February 1, 2023 12:41 PM
To: Amy Weinreich <ARWeinreich at CharlestownRI.gov>; Deb Carney <Deb.Carney at CharlestownRI.gov>; Irina Gorman <igorman at charlestownri.gov>
Subject: RE: Charlestown's Nitrogen Reducing Layered Soil Treatment Area Septic System Video

The Town of Charlestown's Onsite Wastewater Management Program is pleased to present our second short YouTube video. This installment explains the Ross Method for low-cost and simple analysis of ammonium, nitrate, and total nitrogen from
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
The Town of Charlestown's Onsite Wastewater Management Program is pleased to present our second short YouTube video.

This installment explains the Ross Method for low-cost and simple analysis of ammonium, nitrate, and total nitrogen from nitrogen reducing septic systems (OWTS).  The analysis can be done in the field, a vehicle / tailgate or in an office or lab.  We have been piloting this method for a few years and are now routinely monitoring over 20 N reducing OWTS in areas at high risk for groundwater quality impacts in Charlestown.  It is a great way to rapidly analyze septic system efficacy allowing service providers to make quick field adjustments without having to submit samples for costly and time-consuming laboratory analysis.

We hope the use of this method will be utilized widely to help facilitate better managed N reducing septic systems throughout our region.

Please feel free to share.    Link:  https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQnt-lY1kcA__;!!KKphUJtCzQ!K6XcK2yTJMnRtEhhUVbdOo-5TrJqy8H0pWDx0SUuEnTQH4TsWzmKAhEMqaJUpNm7Kbk2dXM4OmfOmelxVKtxhquvBu3pxbUhDbY$ [youtube[.]com] [https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://youtube.com__;!!KKphUJtCzQ!K6XcK2yTJMnRtEhhUVbdOo-5TrJqy8H0pWDx0SUuEnTQH4TsWzmKAhEMqaJUpNm7Kbk2dXM4OmfOmelxVKtxhquvBu3pblUTsfk$ [youtube[.]com]]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQnt-lY1kcA__;!!KKphUJtCzQ!KDK0WzrDzA_0mKhzO2rVlVOEm6JtP1GqWXTjgDCFVn-fPziyOpbu7QFUuaRxKNALQBBoW9B1lBen9bZYLdHVumF4KcBjpc3z$>

Additional information about the Ross Method can be found here:
Journal Article from Soil, Air and Water Pollution, November 23, 2018 [https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://link.springer.com__;!!KKphUJtCzQ!K6XcK2yTJMnRtEhhUVbdOo-5TrJqy8H0pWDx0SUuEnTQH4TsWzmKAhEMqaJUpNm7Kbk2dXM4OmfOmelxVKtxhquvBu3pUFoO6ic$ [link[.]springer[.]com]]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11270-018-4039-z__;!!KKphUJtCzQ!KDK0WzrDzA_0mKhzO2rVlVOEm6JtP1GqWXTjgDCFVn-fPziyOpbu7QFUuaRxKNALQBBoW9B1lBen9bZYLdHVumF4Kdwu4WAS$>

And here:
Manuscript of User-Based Photometer Analysis of Effluent from Advanced Nitrogen-Removal Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems [https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://digitalcommons.uri.edu__;!!KKphUJtCzQ!K6XcK2yTJMnRtEhhUVbdOo-5TrJqy8H0pWDx0SUuEnTQH4TsWzmKAhEMqaJUpNm7Kbk2dXM4OmfOmelxVKtxhquvBu3p2jbH5Zk$ [digitalcommons[.]uri[.]edu]]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/digitalcommons.uri.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1195&context=nrs_facpubs__;!!KKphUJtCzQ!KDK0WzrDzA_0mKhzO2rVlVOEm6JtP1GqWXTjgDCFVn-fPziyOpbu7QFUuaRxKNALQBBoW9B1lBen9bZYLdHVumF4KbXSS1OY$>

Thank you to the Town of Charlestown leadership for providing the environment to implement this assessment here using our local N reducing OWTS and facilitating well-functioning septic systems in it's jurisdiction.

Thank you to our partners and all who collaborated.  Method developed and assessed by: Dr. Bianca N. Ross and the URI Laboratory of Soil Ecology and Microbiology.  Our Sampling Team - Alexandra Beardwood, Alissa Cox, PhD, Ian Ohara, Lisa Hollister, Matt Dowling, Owen Placido and Rebecca Crosby.  IT Team, Filming, Production and Editing Equipment - Ian O'Hara, Alexandra Beardwood, Steve McCandless, Chris Pancaro, and Victoria Chin.

Matthew J. Dowling
On-Site Wastewater Program Manager / Environmental Scientist
Town of Charlestown
4540 South County Trail
Charlestown, RI 02813
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.charlestownri.org/wastewater-management__;!!KKphUJtCzQ!K6XcK2yTJMnRtEhhUVbdOo-5TrJqy8H0pWDx0SUuEnTQH4TsWzmKAhEMqaJUpNm7Kbk2dXM4OmfOmelxVKtxhquvBu3p31CdMfU$ [charlestownri[.]org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.charlestownri.org_index.asp-3FSEC-3D57BE787A-2D1F23-2D406A-2D906B-2D4FBC5BCACF34-26Type-3DB-5FBASIC&d=DwMFAw&c=2jf7j_fmOmUCzmZdL9_9DcZqqPZfvJmqOdXz77c3xWM&r=xgHQkTdX8W-Wk6YYm0Q_apsZutV0w0v_6MJlODVSm0M&m=8j3X8CYXvMLKsHwIHlpuoWEvheqawyigDSB2MkWk2OY&s=ggmY8OLzKmqUC0tkG3ENjuhntP9ZixwjpxJIslwxApg&e=>
Phone:  (401) 364-5030
Fax:  (401) 364-1238

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D93632.7BED6340]

[cid:image002.png at 01D93632.7BED6340]
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and any attachments to it contain confidential and proprietary material of the Town of Charlestown, RI, its affiliates or agents, and is solely for the use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this transmittal is prohibited without consent of the Town of Charlestown, RI. If you have received this transmittal in error, please notify the sender and destroy this e-mail and any attachments and all copies, whether electronic or printed.