[Ritaxpronews] Rhode Island Division of Taxation -- Task force tip line

Neil Downing Neil.Downing at tax.ri.gov
Mon Dec 8 13:33:07 EST 2014

Hi, Everyone.

A six-agency task force that includes the Rhode Island Division of
Taxation announced today that it has set up an anonymous telephone tip
line to receive allegations of worker misclassification.

The tax fraud tip line is staffed by the Division of Taxation. The tip
line number is (401) 574-TIPS, or (401) 574-8477.

"By using the tip line, workers and others can let us know about
employers who are misclassifying workers as independent contractors,"
said Rhode Island Tax Administrator David M. Sullivan. "Rest assured
that we will follow up on all tips. Businesses that don't play by the
rules end up increasing the tax burden on those businesses that do play
by the rules. By enforcing our laws, we can help to level the playing
field — and that helps everyone, including employers and employees,"
Sullivan said.

The task force was established to protect workers' rights as well as
law-abiding businesses that properly classify their employees.  Click
here ( https://www.ri.gov/press/view/23515 ) to read the full
announcement about the tip line and the task force.

Thank you.

-- Neil

Neil Downing
Chief Revenue Agent