[Watersheds] Water Quality Management Plan -- State Guide Plan Element

Panciera, Ernie (DEM) ernie.panciera at dem.ri.gov
Mon Dec 19 14:41:54 EST 2016

The State Planning Council recently approved "Water Quality 2035; RI Water Quality Management Plan" and incorporated it  into the State Guide Plan.  The Plan provides an overview of water quality and aquatic habitat issues in RI and the management approach for protecting and restoring  our water resources.  The Plan sets goals and policies and provides a discussion of:

o   Management responsibilities;

o   Setting priorities;

o   Water quality monitoring and assessment;

o   Planning for protection and restoration;

o   The numerous potential pollution sources threatening water quality and how these sources are managed;

o   Actions determined necessary  to meet the goals and implement the policies.

This Plan updates and replaces four previous State Guide Plan Elements that addressed water quality.

I have attached a 2 page flyer prepared by the Department of Administration summarizing the Plan.  The complete Plan can be viewed on DEM's website at: http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/benviron/water/quality/pdf/wqmp2035.pdf

Ernie Panciera
DEM Office of Water Resources