[Watersheds] Blackstone River Water Chestnut Pull Saturday August 20th

Panciera, Ernie (DEM) ernie.panciera at dem.ri.gov
Wed Aug 17 07:50:08 EDT 2022

Blackstone River – Water Chestnut Pull, Saturday August 20th

Volunteers needed to clean up the invasive species called water chestnut in the Blackstone River. Water chestnut is an aquatic plant that floats on the surface of the water, and causes great harm to the river and its ecosystem. We are focusing on cleaning up a medium sized patch of it by our dock which has started to impede boat navigation and poses danger to bird habitats. We are looking for able bodied people who are able to lift at least 50 pounds. We will be going out in kayaks and canoes, so make sure to wear old clothes and shoes that you do not care about, as they will get a bit wet and muddy. We will be meeting on Saturday August 20th at 9:00am at 1420 Broad St. in Central Falls. We will gather by the dock to hand out supplies and give instructions. It is a very short paddle out in the water, as the chestnuts are visible from the dock. This invasive species is one of the biggest threats facing our river, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Please contact Sam Jackson at the Blackstone Valley Tourism Council either by phone (505) 414-9799 or by email bvtcriverprograms at gmail.com<mailto:bvtcriverprograms at gmail.com> to register or to ask any questions.

--
Samantha Jackson
Director of River Education