[Webmakers] Federal Fellowship for Dan Chapman

Viall, Thomas tomv at egov.com
Thu Aug 23 12:05:44 EDT 2012

August 23rd, 2012

Dear Rhode Island Webmaker,

We have some exciting news to share regarding Dan Chapman, our Director of Creative Services.  Last month, Dan was selected as one of a handful of individuals to serve as a Presidential Innovation Fellow working on the Federal myGov project: http://www.whitehouse.gov/innovationfellows/mygov.

“Inspired by President Obama's call for a smarter, leaner government, innovative models of collaboration in the private sector, and groundbreaking state, local and international efforts, the US CTO, the US CIO, and the White House Director of Digital Strategy are launching myGov to rapidly prototype a streamlined and intuitive system for presenting information and accepting feedback around the needs of citizens.”

I invite you to follow along with the progress of all of these projects, as I am confident that they will produce many best practices that can be used in our own individual efforts to advance eGovernment in the Ocean State.

Although the program officially kicked-off earlier this month, we were directed not to share this information until it was first released by the Fellowship program.  You can read the press release here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/08/23/white-house-launches-presidential-innovation-fellows-program

In order for Dan to serve in this fellowship program we have afforded him a six-month leave of absence from RI.gov and our parent company, NIC.  In compliance with Federal ethics rules, this is an unpaid leave and Dan is not permitted to perform any of his RI.gov duties during that time. Once the fellowship term has concluded, at the end of January, we will welcome him back to our team.

While we are very proud that Dan has been able to take advantage of this program, our commitment to serving your needs is still paramount.  To that end, we have promoted Leslie Mann to full time status.  Many of you have already worked with Leslie in her part-time capacity at RI.gov for over a year.  Leslie is a very talented designer and she has my full confidence that in Dan’s absence she will be able to maintain the high-level of service that I expect from all RI.gov team members.

Her contact information:

Leslie Mann
Web Designer, RI.gov
lmann at egov.com
401-831-8099 x 280

If during this time you experience any issues, or have any questions, I urge you to reach out directly to me, or our Lead Project Manager Nicole Courtemanche (nicolec at egov.com).

I hope you will join me in congratulating Dan Chapman for being selected as a member of this prestigious team.  Over the past eight years, Dan has brought about numerous innovations to improve our Rhode Island websites and online services and I am very proud that he has been offered this unique opportunity to apply those exceptional talents to benefit all Americans.

Best wishes,

Thomas Viall
General Manager, RI.gov
tomv at egov.com