[Webmakers] Disk storage space on Soriweb

Kurt Huhn Kurt.Huhn at DoIT.ri.gov
Thu Jun 26 11:51:52 EDT 2014

Good morning all,

Soriweb, the main web server for State websites, is quickly reaching the limits of it's storage capacity.

As of right now, the disk space set aside for websites is sitting at 350 MB free of a 80,000 MB filesystem.  This is reported by the system as 100% full, and may result in strange behavior of the system, including an inability to update or overwrite existing files, or upload new files.

During our investigation it was noted that several websites are taking up space in excess of 4,000 MB, with a handful up over 10,000 MB.

Please note:
- Soriweb is not a development platform.  If you need space to develop new versions of your website, we have an internal server dedicated to that purpose.  Please remove any development work from the production server.
- Soriweb is not designed or equipped to serve movies, nor is our Internet connection.  If you are making movies available on your website, please remove them and leverage a resource such as YouTube or Vimeo in order to host those movies.  Some of the movies found on the server exceed 2,000 MB.
- Soriweb is not a backup system.  Please do not create directories within your website called "backup" or "old" and store previous versions of your site there.  These should be removed immediately and archived to DVD if they are needed for reference.
- Soriweb is not an archive system.  Please do not store files on the server forever.  Anything that is not required to be made available to the public for an indefinite time period for regulatory compliance should be archived off to another server, or to DVD for reference as necessary.   Some of the files found on the server go back over ten years.

Please log in to your sites and clean up as much as possible.  If the filesystem does completely fill up, it is possible that the entire server could crash and end up in a very bad state.

--Kurt

--
Kurt Huhn
kurt.huhn at doit.ri.gov