[YART] Gaming Systems in the Public Library

Becky Farwick bfarwick at newportlibraryri.org
Mon Mar 11 18:28:43 EDT 2019

We have a PS4, currently surrounded by 6 boys.  Our biggest challenge is
volume when there are lots of players.  That and sometimes they help
themselves to things in our staff only area!.  We solved the staff area
problem by locking everything up when we leave.  Volume is more
challenging.  I have the volume control for the TV, but unfortunately,
there isn't a switch on the teens ;)

As for guidelines: teens only, but if they have a younger friend I'll let
them play together.  I always hand the games, controllers and console to
the teen.  The console, controllers, games, etc stay locked up and can only
be used when a YA librarian is in the department.  We do not allow outside
games, but will borrow from other libraries if there is something they want
is available.  This is actually a good way to find out what's popular so we
know what to buy next.  Games come out of my program budget. I only buy
games rated E or T.

If I missed anything, just ask, but I think that mostly covers it.

Becky Farwick
YA Librarian
Newport Public Library <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.newportlibraryri.org&d=DwIBaQ&c=tSLbvWYfvulPN3G_n48TUw&r=EJvg2ImHvBYuk6hTA3H1QNw0vEMfg_J4wersMgcqJvo&m=z2Sk9D7SAV00J1zYbhW8QxAPICnGe48SbL2DLPO0-TM&s=ZyxLcrP1_ZgO1OAre3fOZguNfmBEFPzZ78omg1Ul3Oc&e=>
300 Spring Street
Newport, RI 02840
401-847-8720 x206

All for free. All for you.