[Young Adult and Children's Services Discussion List] Native American representation in Middle grade fiction

Rashaa Al-Sasah rashaa at wwpl.org
Tue Nov 19 16:02:19 EST 2019

Hello all,
At the last Yart meeting, we discussed children thinking that Native
Americans and Indigenous people are a thing of the past. I recently
finished *I can make this promise *a middle-grade #ownvoices novel by
Christina Day and it is a super important and wonderful book and I highly
recommend it for your collections.

This is slightly spoilery for the book but I digress .....it really
highlighted for me that one of the reasons that kids think that they are a
thing of the past is that the US government has actively participated in
cultural genocide by sending children off to boarding school and then up
until 1978 when children were forcibly taken from parents and put into
foster care.  So its no wonder that children are feeling the effects of
this now and of course our schools will not highlight this less than ideal
history. So I think that us bolstering our collections with Native own
voices and resources is even more important.

So if anyone finds more books please share!

--

*Rashaa Al-Sasah, MLISHead of Teen ServicesPronouns:She/Her*
*West Warwick Public library *