[Watersheds] FW: Gardening for Water Quality -

Panciera, Ernie (DEM) ernie.panciera at dem.ri.gov
Mon Feb 6 13:41:24 EST 2017

Gardening for Water Quality in the Ocean State -
Saturday, February 18th, 1 - 4 pm
URI Kingston, Pharmacy Building Room 170

Did last summer’s drought leave your plants crispy?  Have you wondered about rain gardens or received questions about gardening along the water’s edge?  This free session is for you!

I will discuss how our actions on land affect water quality by delving into the science of watersheds, planting to prevent pollution, and the latest information in the field.

Then Kate Venturini will discuss the ways that we can improve water quality through our gardening design, plant selection and maintenance practices. We’ll learn how to manage excess water on your property and how to increase the resiliency of the landscape to drought stress.  She’ll leave you with the tools and resources to bring this information out into the community.

This is a program of URI Master Gardener Program continuing education, that is also open to URI Extension’s water quality partners. This is a great chance to not only learn how to improve your landscape in a way that protects your favorite waterbodies, but to meet like-minded Master Gardener volunteers!

Note: Both the URI Watershed Watch lab and the Pharmacy Building are best accessed from Flagg Rd now that construction on the new Engineering complex has begun - the driveway is now both an entrance and exit.
--

Elizabeth Herron

Program Coordinator

URI Watershed Watch (http://web.uri.edu/watershedwatch/)

School Drinking Water Lead Project (http://web.uri.edu/nemo/lead-in-water/)

Rm 105 NRS - CIK

1 Greenhouse Rd.

Kingston, RI 02881

Phone: 401-874-4552

Fax: 401-874-4561

URI Watershed Watch provides equal program opportunities without regard to race,age, sex or preference, creed, or disability.